Accessibility in Media

               The week six assignment in the Fall 2021 semester of Multimedia Apps and Tools was to create a slideshow with a minimum of four edited pictures. My slideshow highlights my business, Guest Memorials, and includes six edited pictures. Please enjoy:


              This week, we also discussed accessibility when creating online content. I think the phrase that really stood out to me was “there is no such thing as an average user!” Having recently learned of multiple neurodivergences within myself, I have been working to break down some of my ableist thinking. The reminder that the most basic accessibility tools can help everyone was important for me.

              I heard an example once about the idea that accessibility helps all. The example was wheelchair ramps. I can’t immediately find anything that says wheelchair ramps were controversial, please fill me in if you know of anything. Regardless, wheelchair ramps are an ADA requirement, and it could be argued that they are an added expense that shouldn’t be necessary because it is only for a small percentage of the population. If we disregard the moral flaws in that last sentence, we can focus on the fact that ramps help a lot more people than just those who use wheelchairs and other mobility devices. Ramps are helpful for parents with strollers, moving large loads (with or without a dolly), toddlers who want to walk on their own but can’t navigate stairs yet, and many others. This example makes way to advocate for increased accessibility across all platforms.

              Although limited to what a creator supplies, screen readers are a great tool that can help multitudes of people, despite being originally designed for those with bad eyesight or blindness. Thinking in terms of college students, screen readers can help parents listen to their reading assignments while folding clothes or other day to day tasks. Another use could be for a student who also works; there have been times I listened to my textbook while I was cleaning at work. These examples don’t even take into account other disabilities that can be aided by using screen readers; dyslexia, ADHD and ASD all come to mind.

              This week’s topic has motivated me to ensure the websites for the businesses where I work are ADA compliant. I will be interested to see what features are already offered through our website host and what things I will need to change.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Audacity

Webware, Freeware, and Apps